Friday, August 5, 2011

Resentment and Apologies

Why do we get upset or burn with anger? Why does resentment force its way out of our mouths and into our gestures?

Why do some people find it excruciatingly difficult to utter the word ‘sorry’ after all is said and done?

Why do some of us find it hard to let go?

The other day, I was traveling for a couple of hours, and many memories came flashing across my mind, throughout the journey.

I have to admit, it was a quite a challenge to keep my heart at ease after recalling those unpleasant thoughts.

For some reason, every hurting word and action that people have said or done towards me, kept playing very vividly in my head.

I remembered everything they said or did, intentionally or unintentionally. Not that I put in effort to remember them, I just do.

I recalled specifically one person who caused me a lot of fear and tears. His final words, before I ever saw him again, rang clearly in my ears.

“I am sorry FOR you, little girl,” he said.

If he had a low command of English, I could overlook it. But he knew very well exactly what he said.

Anger burned within as I remembered how stupid I was to allow someone to insult me - when in fact, he should have said, “I am sorry TO you.”

Being too quiet by nature, I gave him the opportunity to treat me in that manner. The more I thought about it, the more I became enraged with myself, than I was towards him.


I will always remember him as the guy who never apologized.

Could I call it resentment? I suppose so.

In my heart, I forgive him. If I accidentally run into him, I believe I would speak like nothing ever happened. I could not possibly go back to the past and say, “You said this and that to me. You treated me with disrespect. I was quiet & you stepped on me. I demand an apology!”

No, I could never do that! I am not one who will throw a temper or tell someone off to their face. I would not demand an apology. If people are wrong, they should realize it. I might hint indirectly a couple of times. I give them time, chance after chance, and accept all the temper they throw at me. I will even take the first move to apologize….

But when I reach a certain point, I just make up my mind to let go of the memory and the person as well.

Yet, it’s not easy to forget. Even after many years, I still remember, “You NEVER said SORRY.”

Being a Christian, I have no choice but to LOVE and FORGIVE. It’s a commandment of Christ. So sometimes when I remember, I say to myself, “Jesus, I forgive him.”

Forgiving is not easy. It’s even more difficult to say ‘’I forgive you” to someone’s face.

In fact, it is as difficult as saying ‘sorry’ itself.

Why is an apology so important?

Because, this is what SORRY really says:

1) I acknowledge I hurt your feelings.
2) I know I make mistakes, and I’m brave enough to admit it.
3) I might be right in my own eyes, but in fact, I may be wrong.
4) I am humble.
5) I love you more than my ego.
6) I know I can never take back my words or actions – I hope this word heals the pain & helps you to forgive me.
7) I cannot turn back time, but this word says I’ll try to avoid this mistake in the future.

I have been hurt by many people in my life (just as I may have hurt others), and a few have caused a lot more pain than mere words.

Yet, I consider some of them the closest friends I’ve ever had.

How is that?

Because of the magic word, “SORRY,” from the heart.

There really is something magical about a sincere apology. It helps blur the painful memories. Even if the hurt emerges, that one moment of apology wipes it all away.

I will remember, “He / she said SORRY from the heart,” and that brings a smile. It helps me forgive.

It’s a fact of life that some people who owe us apologies may never, ever say ‘sorry.’ It’s equally true that we may also never say sorry to those we have hurt.

Some may forgive us without an apology, while others may hold a grudge even after we say ‘sorry.’

All of us are equal sinners. Only the answers to these questions differentiate us:

1) Have you asked for forgiveness?
2) Have you been forgiven?
3) Do you forgive?
4) Are you loved?
5) Do you love?


If your answer is a resounding ‘YES’ to all, you are truly blessed!

Life is too short to be angry, too brief to delay saying ‘sorry.’

Forgive while you have breath. Apologize so you have no regrets.


May we never be remembered as ‘the person who never said ‘sorry,’ or ‘the person who never forgave.’

Because, to love, is the only way to live.


1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he (God) is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Jesus said, in:

Matthew 6:9-15
This, then, is how you should pray: Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.






No comments:

Post a Comment