Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Do You Know Who You Are @ WORK?

When I was in my work meetings the last few days, my question in my previous blog kept appearing like a banner flying across the sky, in my head.

“Do you know who you are – at WORK?” I asked myself.

Having a position or a responsibility is one thing. But having a strong conviction of your true purpose in your workplace opens a totally different dimension, regardless of your designation.

Some of Jesus’ final words before his crucifixion, that I shared in my previous blog came to me.

Allow me to share these leadership lessons that I picked up from this Bible verse:


John 18:37

37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world to testify the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”



1) Jesus said : You are right in saying I am a king

You’ve got to know who you are:

- Know your position - know the authority it carries and use it accordingly.

- Know what you need to know, to be who you are – equip yourself with the necessary knowledge, skills and preparations.

- Speak with confidence.

- Do not allow other people’s negative thoughts to destroy your self-image.



2) Jesus said : For this reason I was born


-Know your destiny in your workplace – it isn’t just a job, it’s a higher calling!

-You are who you are in your office, business, organization etc. for a reason; God placed you there, it’s no coincidence!

-Be a change agent. Put things in order. Keep making things better. Be the ‘salt’ & ‘light’ – make a difference!

- Analyze your true intention for whatever you do at work – you don’t just report to your earthly boss; you are working for your BIG BOSS (GOD)!



3) Jesus said: and for this I came into the world to testify the truth

-Know your specific roles and responsibilities at work.

-Do it for God, not for men (if you do it for men, you may get disappointed when you are not appreciated, or people do not favor you. But if you do it for God, you fulfill your role with pleasure regardless of the situation)

-Your earthly boss may or may not care about you, but your Heavenly BOSS DEFINITELY loves you to bits!

-Just do the right thing (without complaining) – whatever it takes. God loves a cheerful giver. The Master loves a faithful servant.

-Put your heart into it – walk the extra mile. In your job, give God your best, and He will take care of the rest.



4) Jesus said: Everyone on the side of truth listens to me

- When you fulfill 1,2 & 3, when you are right; there will be people on the side of truth who listen to you.

- There may be those who are not on the side of truth – people who dislike you for personal reasons or those who constantly look for ways to put you down. There may be people who will want to ‘nail you to the cross’!

- Constantly check yourself. If you have made a mistake, quickly correct it. (Only God is perfect. You’re a human with a tendency for errors!)

- But if you have displayed nothing but the truth, when no fault can be found in you…then, take comfort knowing:


Remember, they did it to Jesus first.
Whatever they do to you is NOTHING compared to what they did to Jesus!


Most importantly:


Remember how Jesus responded through it all – with wisdom, power and strength – covered with LOVE.

Jesus lived his entire earthly life, fulfilling His destiny.


JESUS - the TRUE LEADER by example.


Prayer for today:

Dear Lord Jesus, teach me how to be like You in the organization that You have placed me. Teach me how to lead with wisdom, power and strength – covered with LOVE. May I fulfill my destiny in my workplace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.


By JJ

No comments:

Post a Comment