Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Do You Know Who You Are?


A lot of teenagers like to copy the ways of people they idolize – the fashion, the hairstyles, the way they walk, and the accent they talk. Compliments such as “You look like that Bollywood actress,” “Your hair is just like that Hollywood superstar,” or “You’re sexy like that model!” seems to magically feed the insecurities of many young hearts. Having themselves linked to someone popular gives them a sense of pride. Some would even go to great extents just to receive such comments.

Many youngsters do not know themselves. They want to be something else. They try to be someone else. They struggle to be what others expect them to be. They are terrified of being called ‘old-fashioned’ or 'religious.' They feel ashamed to say they are keeping sex only for marriage. They want to ‘fit in’ and are afraid of being ridiculed by society if they appear to be different.

Do we strive to be ourselves - nothing but the best of ourselves? Do we really dare to be who we are?

It is very sad indeed if we carry the baggage of insecurities with us from childhood into our adulthood and later years.

I always admire people who know who they are, and are proud of who they are, regardless what others may say - people who dare to be different.

There was such a boy.



He never searched for his identity. He never went away on a journey to find out his role. He never once doubted his own identity or power. Nothing dramatic happened to convince himself of who he was. No one had to persuade him to believe his own authority or power.

He always knew – right from the beginning to the end - and he lived it.



Luke 2:41-51 in the Bible details Jesus as a young boy who knew exactly who he was. Here’s what happened.

41 Every year, his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of the Passover. When he was 12 years old, they went up to the Feast, according to the custom. 43 After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. 44 Thinking he was in their company, they travelled for a day. Then they began looking for him among their relatives and friends.




45 When they did not find him, they went back to Jerusalem to look for him. 46 After 3 days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you.”

49 “Why were you searching for me? He asked. “Didn’t you know I had to be in my Father’s house?” 50 But they did not understand what he was saying to them.

51 Then he went down to Nazareth with them and he was obedient to them. But his mother treasured all these things in her heart. And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and men.



In his adult years, Jesus also demonstrated his knowledge of his identity many times in various incidents.

Here is another chapter where Jesus affirms who he is, again.



John 8:19-30

19 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?” “You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple area near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his time had not yet come.

21 Once again, Jesus said to them, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sins. Where I go, you cannot come.”

22 This made the Jews ask, “Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, “Where I go, you cannot come?”

23 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.

24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am the one I claim to be, you will indeed die in your sins.”

25 “Who are you?” they asked. “Just as I have been claiming all along,” Jesus replied.

26 “I have so much to say in judgment of you. But he who sent me is reliable, and what I have heard from him, I tell the world.”

27 They did not understand that he was telling them about his Father. 28 So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am the one I claim to be, and that I do nothing on my own but speak just as what the Father has taught me.

29 The one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what pleases him.” 30 Even as he spoke, many put their faith in him.



Jesus always knew who he was.



Jesus was sentenced to death – crucified like a criminal ! What was his crime? Claiming he was the Son of God!

Up to the moment of trial for death, Jesus was true to himself.



Here’s his reply to the Roman governor, Pilate who asked him “What is your crime?”

John 18:36-37

36 Jesus said, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my Kingdom is from another place.”

37 “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world to testify the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.”



…….And yes, we all know the rest of the story; Jesus was stripped naked and crucified on the cross till he died (as he already predicted would happen).

What was his crime?

Being himself.

Jesus was never ashamed or afraid of staying true to himself – even to the point of death.



Jesus always knew who he was.

Do you know who you are? Do you dare to live it?

-JJ-

No comments:

Post a Comment